Policies & Guidelines

Revised: May 5, 2011 Section 4, 4.2(b), contact person for VCH-Vancouver (Community) and VCH-Richmond

Our Vision

Our vision for research at Vancouver Coastal Health Research: Healthier Lives through Discovery

Our Mission

Research at VCH leads and excels in the generation of health knowledge through discovery, education, application and evaluation.

Vancouver Coastal Health Research advances the development of research activity across Vancouver Coastal Health, one of British Columbia’s five geographic health authorities. Vancouver Coastal Health is made up of the following health service delivery areas (HSDAs): Vancouver Acute, Vancouver Community, Richmond, and Coastal.

Policies Governing the Conduct of Research

The conduct of research will be guided by these policies and guidelines, including the applicable portions of the University of British Columbia (UBC) policies, as amended from time to time (see Appendices 1, 2 and 3). Specific policies and standards apply to financial management as well as research involving humans, animals, and biohazardous or radioactive materials.

Purpose and Scope

This document provides an overview of the policies, procedures and administrative support structures for research conducted at VCH Research Institute. For more detailed information, please contact the appropriate person as listed at the back of this document.

VCH Research Institute and VCH Researchers

VCH Research Institute is a joint venture in research between Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) and the University of British Columbia (UBC). All research carried out at any VCH facility or by any individual employed by or associated with VCH is deemed to be done under the auspices of VCH Research Institute and all such researchers are automatically VCH Research Institute researchers who are encouraged to cite VCH Research Institute in their publications and other public documents and to use the VCH Research Institute logo where appropriate.


Vancouver Coastal Health Authority (“VCHA”), the corporate name of VCH Research Institute parent organization, must be used on any legal document to which VCHA is a party. For all other purposes, the designation approved by the VCHA board is “Vancouver Coastal Health” (VCH). VCH Research Institute is an arm of VCH.

Researchers from Affiliated Organizations

VCH has research affiliations with University of British Columbia, Simon Fraser University, Royal Roads University, University of Victoria, University of Northern BC and BC Institute of Technology. Researchers from those institutions (who are not otherwise connected to VCH) can become “VCH Research Institute Affiliated Investigators” and conduct research projects at VCH sites. For more information contact VCH Research Institute Executive Assistant Lillian Manusha at 604.875.5641 or lillian.manusha@vch.ca.

1. Grant Funding and Administration

1.1 Scope and definition of a grant/unrestricted grant-in-aid

Funds received by VCH Research Institute researchers from research granting agencies, government, industry, gifts, internal funds from the health authority or university, will be regarded under the terms of health authority and university policy as being a research grant (or a grant-in-aid) as long as there are no strings attached to the funding. Projects may or may not involve the use of humans, animals, biohazards and radioactive materials. The following terms apply:

  • Supports the general research activities of an individual researcher or group of researchers.
  • No specific result required or expected by the sponsor
  • No rights (inventions or other intellectual property) accrue to the sponsor
  • No restriction on publication of results
  • Funds are paid up front or by installments in advance
  • No restriction on use of funds
  • No information confidential to the sponsor will be accepted

1.2 VCH Research Institute Internal Grants & Awards Program

VCH Research Institute runs internal funding competitions that are open to VCH staff and VCH Research Institute researchers (depending on the specifics of the competition. Information related to all competitions managed through this Program is located at Internal Grants.

1.3 Applying for grant funding

1.3 (a) Procedures for obtaining signatures

Every application for grant funds (new or renewal) submitted from UBC appointees to any source must be signed, in the following order: by the applicant(s), the UBC Department Head/Head of School, the UBC Faculty Dean (or designate) and the Director, UBC Research Services (or designate).

Applications from VCH Research Institute researchers who do not hold UBC appointments must be signed in the following order: the applicant(s), the VCH department head and the Executive Director, VCH Research Institute. The Associate Director, VCH Research Institute can also sign on behalf of the Executive Director.

These rules apply equally to:

  • funding requests for new projects;
  • letters of intent;
  • requests for renewal or supplemental funding for existing projects;
  • requests made by letter or by written proposal as well as those prepared on pre-printed forms;
  • all faculty awards and fellowships, even when funds will not be administered by UBC;
  • postdoctoral fellowships which will be administered by UBC;
  • all graduate or undergraduate scholarships and fellowships.

VCH Research Institute researchers with UBC appointments can obtain signatures at the VCH Research Institute administration office. The Executive Director, VCH Research Institute who holds a joint appointment as Assistant Dean, Faculty of Medicine (FoM), signs on behalf of the FoM (on non-salary awards only), and the Research Manager, UBC Office of Research Services (ORS)/VCH Research Institute , signs on behalf of the Director, ORS. This service is provided as a convenience for VCH Research Institute researchers at the VGH site. VCH Research Institute researchers can still obtain the required signatures on the UBC campus as well.

VCH researchers without academic appointments can also obtain signatures at the VCH Research Institute administration office. Applications are processed through the Research Manager, UBC ORS/VCH Research Institute, who will obtain the Executive Director, VCH Research Institute signature as the required institutional signature.

Note: all of the above signatures are required, even when pre-printed forms do not have the appropriate spaces (an additional page can be inserted to include any missing signatures).

1.3 (b) Eligibility

VCH Researchers with UBC clinical or academic appointments: Holders of UBC research Project Grants (PGs) must be members of the permanent academic staff; normally those appointments are at the rank of assistant/clinical assistant professor or higher. PGs may be opened for lecturers or research associates at the specific request of the Dean, who confirms that the term of the member’s appointment covers the full term of the grant or contract. PGs will not be opened under post doctoral or other fellows, students or visitors’ names; instead PGs will be opened under their supervisors’ or department heads’ names. The above will apply at the time a researcher is submitting a grant application for signature.

Non-academic VCH Researchers: VCH physicians and permanent staff are eligible to apply for funding with VCH as the administering organization, as long as the funding agency allows non-academic institutions to manage their research funds.

1.3 c) Documents required

All VCH researchers are required to complete and attach a grant cover sheet to each application for signature.

VCH Researchers with UBC clinical or academic appointments: A complete, original application must be presented to the UBC Office of Research Services (or VCH Research Services) for signature on behalf of the UBC President. At that time, a copy of the application must be provided for Research Services’ records. Copies should be limited to:

  • Grant Cover Sheet (Faculties of Medicine and Pharmaceutical Sciences – see above)
  • Title page
  • Signature page
  • Abstract or 1 page summary of proposed project
  • Budget summary, justification and all accompanying financial information
  • Letters of support
  • Documents relating to matching funds or collaborations

For “New” applicants in the Faculty of Medicine: please see the Faculty of Medicine web-site at http://med.ubc.ca/research/gad/ for details on the additional requirements and contact information.

Applications to Industry: a complete copy of the application is required
Non-academic VCH Researchers: A complete, original application must be presented to the VCH Research Services for signature, including a grant cover sheet (see above). At that time, a copy of the complete application must be provided for VCH Research Services’ records.

Grant applications submitted for signature at the VCH Research Institute office will be signed within 36 hours. It is the responsibility of the applicant to copy and mail grant applications to the granting agency.

1.4 Internal review for UBC affiliated researchers

1.4 (a) Internal review – all UBC affiliated researchers

To assist UBC researchers (non-UBC researchers are not required to obtain internal review) become more successful in CIHR grant competitions, the Office of the Vice President Research, UBC has developed a rigorous process of internal review. This is a joint effort by the UBC Office of the VP Research and the affiliated academic health sites (e.g. VCH).

Internal Review (IR) is a process whereby one or more expert reviewer is matched, according to expertise and availability, with a researcher who is preparing a grant application for a specific competition. The researchers work together to review and refine the application. Feedback and recommendations are provided via email, telephone and/or face-to-face sessions to strengthen the quality of the application and improve the chance of being successfully funded.

This process is coordinated through the UBC Health Research Resource Office (HeRRO) and is available to all UBC researchers submitting an application to any major Provincial or National peer-review based agency. Please note that the Faculty of Medicine has mandatory IR requirements for certain investigators and competitions (see below).

1.4 (b) Internal review – Faculty of Medicine researchers

Researchers in the Faculty of Medicine who have been appointed to the assistant or clinical assistant professor level within the past five years (or who are currently research associates or fellows expecting to take up positions at the assistant or clinical assistant professor levels) and who do not currently hold peer-reviewed operating funds from a major provincial or federal granting agency are classified as “New-news”. It is mandatory for new-new principal investigators to submit two Internal Reviewer Sign-off Forms at or prior to the time a grant is submitted for signature for certain competitions. In addition, all salary award applications require mandatory review. For more information go to: http://med.ubc.ca/research/gad/grant-writing-support/internal-review/

1.5 Notification of award

When an award is made, the grantee is responsible for providing the Office of Research Services (either at the UBC Point Grey site or the VCHRI office) with a copy of the award notice or letter, the cheque (if mailed directly to the grantee), plus copies of any other documents concerning the regulations or conditions governing the use of grant funds.

1.6 Research accounts

Grant and contract funds are held in trust by the University or Vancouver Coastal Health and are not the property of any individual.

Researchers are required to obtain applicable approvals for humans (both for research ethics and the VCH Approval(s) to Conduct Research), animals, biohazards, radioactive materials before the research can start and before an account can be opened. There must be a Certificate of Approval referencing an exact project title and funding source for each research project. Though some researchers may have the choice of opening a research account at UBC or at VCH, most granting agencies will require funds to be administered by the University. If not affiliated with an academic institution, funds must be administered through VCH. Other types of funding may be administered at UBC or VCH. Research accounts are opened either by Research Services or UILO Sponsored Research Group at UBC (depending on the source of funds) or by the Research Manager, UBC ORS/VCH Research Institute.

1.7 Obtaining approvals required to conduct research at VCH

In order to begin a research project involving humans, at least two approvals are required: Approval from a Research Ethics Board (REB) and Approval to Conduct Research at VCH. Go to section 4. Approvals required to conduct research at VCH.

2. Industry Sponsored Clinical Trials

2.1 Scope and definition

Sponsor initiated – Phase I, II, III, IV

  • The sponsor writes the protocol and owns the compound or device.
  • Agreements are negotiated and signed by sponsor, VCH, UBC and principal investigator (PI).
  • Publication may be temporarily restricted (within clearly defined limits) to protect commercial interests. In the case of a multi-centre research project, publication may be restricted until the research project has been reported in full by all centres.
  • Confidential information provided by the sponsor will be protected by VCH, UBC and PI.
  • Particular care will be taken to include indemnification and insurance provision in the agreements.
  • An overhead charge of 25% will be levied against the cost of the research project.
  • Amendments to protocol must be approved by the sponsor and the Clinical Research Ethics Board (CREB)
  • Amendments to clinical trial agreement are to be submitted to the attention of the VCHRI Clinical Trials Administration office.

2.2 Execution of Clinical Trial Agreement (“CTA”)

All CTAs include VCH and UBC (collectively, the institution), the PI, and the sponsor as parties to the agreement. The VCH Vice President, Research will sign on behalf of VCH and the Associate Director of the University-Industry Liaison Office will sign on behalf of UBC. All industry sponsored CTAs are executed through the VCH Research Institute Clinical Trials Administration office.

The following documents are required:

Once the CTA has been executed a copy will be sent to UBC and the PI.

2.3 Obtaining approvals required to conduct research at VCH

In order to begin an industry sponsored clinical trial, at least two approvals are required: Approval from the UBC Clinical Research Ethics Board (CREB) and Approval to Conduct Research at VCH. Go to section 4. Approvals required to conduct research at VCH.

3. Industry/Government Research Contracts and Service Agreements

3.1 Scope and definition

UBC/VCH Research Institute are prepared to contribute to economic growth by sharing their own research expertise and facilities with industry and government, provided that work is not undertaken in competition with the private sector and that the university’s academic goals are not compromised.

The University Industry Liaison Office (UILO) Sponsored Research Group (SRG) manages a number of university/health authority research arrangements that include but is not limited to:

  • Collaborative Research Agreements (CRA)
  • Grants-in-Aid (GIA)
  • Government Contracts
  • Investigator-Initiated Clinical Research Agreements (IICA)
  • Material Transfer Agreements (MTA)
  • Non-disclosure Agreements or Confidentiality Agreements (NDA)
  • Personal Consulting Arrangements
  • Service Contracts
  • Space and Equipment Rentals
  • Student Educational Projects
  • Descriptions of all of these are on the UILO Research Agreements webpage.

3.2 Approval of the contract/agreement

It is required by the University Act of British Columbia that UBC be a party to all research contracts and agreements involving UBC appointees. This means that all research documents must be written between the Sponsor and the UBC (not with an individual principal investigator (PI), department or faculty). In the case of contracts/agreements where the PI is carrying out the work at a VCH site, both UBC and VCH are parties to the agreement. This will normally necessitate changes to the agreement in the party provision, notice provision, and signature block sections. VCH staff with no university affiliation should contact the Associate Director, VCH Research Institute for more information.

The Managing Director of the University-Industry Liaison Office (UILO) will sign approvals for contracts/agreements on behalf of UBC and the VCH Vice President, Research will sign on behalf of VCH. The Sponsored Research Group (SRG) in the UILO negotiates all projects. Information on the process may be obtained at Procedures & Service Standards.

4. Approvals required to conduct research at VCH

In order to begin a research project involving humans at VCH, at least two approvals are required: Approval from one of the UBC Research Ethics Boards (REBs), and Approval to Conduct Research at VCH. For “Affiliated Investigators” (see Researchers from Affiliated Organizations) VCH Research Institute will usually accept REB approvals from their institutions, but reserves the right to request a second review by the UBC Clinical Research Ethics Board (CREB) based on the level of clinical invasiveness of the proposed project. When such a second review is deemed necessary, application to the UBC CREB would be made by a VCH Research Institute investigator/VCH staff person collaborating with the “Affiliated Investigator”.
Researchers should be familiar with the provisions of the TCPS 2 – 2nd edition of Tri-Council Policy Statement: Ethical Conduct for Research Involving Humans. The complete text is available at www.pre.ethics.gc.ca/eng/policy-politique/initiatives/tcps2-eptc2/Default/.

4.1 Obtaining Research Ethics Board (REB) approval

These guidelines apply to all proposed research projects carried out by anyone within Vancouver Coastal Health, whether funded by industry, grants, gifts, internal funds of the health authority or university, or without specific financing. VCH staff or physicians who do not have a UBC appointment and who require research ethics review for their project follow the same process as outlined below, through VCH’s affiliation agreement with UBC.

A research project requiring REB review is defined as one in which human subjects (clients, patients, residents) are subjected to a procedure or intervention which goes beyond their need for usual care. This includes, but is not limited to:

Clinical research projects: Research that involves all clinical interventions, such as the testing of drugs, medical devices, and other therapeutic initiatives, obtaining any human tissues for research project, as well as the analysis of clinical data obtained from medical records or studies of a clinical nature involving linkage of data from existing databases. These should be submitted to the Clinical Research Ethics Board (CREB).
Behavioural science research projects: Research that involves invasions of privacy, such as interviews, questionnaires, tests, observations and experimental manipulations in the behavioural and social sciences. Research that is limited to these types of data collection methods, but which may also include the collection of a subject’s health information, must be submitted to the Behavioural Research Ethics Board (BREB) for review.


If an internal quality improvement (QI) or program evaluation project is being performed at VCH and/or PHC, and the project lead is uncertain if it needs to be reviewed by an REB, before initiating the project, they should download and review the guidance note and checklist to assist them in their decisionmaking.

The UBC REBs do not under any circumstances review nor grant approval for research which has already been conducted. Requests for such review to satisfy, for example, publication requirements, will not be entertained.

To obtain Research Ethics Board approval from a UBC REB, an ethics application must be submitted to the CREB or BREB via RISe, an online system that is used for the submission and tracking of UBC REB applications. Specific application information is available at http://rise.ubc.ca.

Prior to submitting an application via RISe, a researcher will need to obtain a RISe login. Please contact the CREB or BREB for assistance with this process. Contact information for CREB or BREB managers is located in the contact section of this document. General information regarding UBC research ethics (including meeting dates and deadlines) may be found at: http://www.research.ubc.ca/ethics/.

In some cases, a research project may need to be reviewed by a UBC review committee in addition to an REB. For example, research that involves human blood may require review by both the Bio-hazardous Materials Committee and the Clinical REB. Researchers should contact the manager for the committee or board if this applies to their research (see contact information).

REB approval is valid for one year. If the research project is to continue beyond one year, it is the responsibility of the researcher to submit a renewal application to the CREB or BREB. If amendments are made to the approved research project protocol, the researcher must submit these amendments to the CREB or BREB for approval. Processes for both annual renewals and amendments are described on the RISe system.

All UBC REBs (CREB, BREB, Providence Healthcare REB and BC Cancer Agency REB) have agreed effective March 21, 2007, that each research project reviewed by a UBC REB should have a single UBC REB of Record. The purpose is to avoid formal research ethics reviews by multiple UBC REBs of the same research project. This situation arises when the same researcher is conducting the research project at more than one institution under the UBC REBs’ jurisdiction (e.g. VCH and BCCA).

4.2 Approvals to conduct research at VCH

All research projects and clinical trials involving human subjects that involve the use of VCH services, facilities, staff or patients (or other client populations), or that impact VCH clinical or other service resources (including use of hard copy or electronic records), must receive “Approval to Conduct Research at VCH” VCH Operational Research Approvals from the Vancouver Coastal Health Research office in the relevant Health Service Delivery Area (HSDA). Before this approval is granted, REB approval must be in place. There are four VCHA HSDAs: Vancouver Acute, VCH-Vancouver (Community), VCH-Richmond, and Coastal.

Each VCH HSDA manages this process independently for research projects taking place within their sites. If a research project will be conducted within more than one VCH HSDA, the researcher must obtain approval from the VCH Research Institute office in each of the relevant HSDAs. Once approval to conduct research has been granted by the applicable VCH Research Institute office, the research project may begin at that site. The approval process ensures that all research involving humans conducted at VCHA is reviewed from an ethical (REB approval), safety and resource use framework.

To qualify as the Principal Investigator (PI) on a VCH research Institute project, an individual must:

  • have a medical appointment at VCH, or
  • be a VCH employee; or
  • have received a “VCH Research Institute Affiliated Investigator” Appointment (see Researchers from Affiliated Organizations).

If the PI for the research project does not have a medical appointment at VCH or is not a VCH employee, but does have a faculty appointment at a post-secondary institution that has a research affiliation agreement with VCH (see Researchers from Affiliated Organizations), the PI may either:

  • apply for a “VCH Research Institute Affiliated Investigator” appointment; or
  • designate a VCH individual as the “Site Investigator at VCH”.

4.2 (a) Submission Criteria To Conduct Research At VCH

Research projects which meet any one of the following criteria must be submitted to VCH Research Institute for review and approval:

  • Research projects that are conducted at any VCH HSDA;
  • Research projects where VCH patients/clients/residents/staff are participants in the research project;
  • Research projects where VCH medical staff or employees participate in the conduct of the research project (Note: In this case, criteria #1 and/or criteria #2 must also apply).

4.2 (b) Obtaining Approval To Conduct Research At VCH

Three processes must occur before research is approved and may begin at VCH:

Submission to a UBC REB. For “Affiliated Investigators” (see Researchers from Affiliated Organizations). VCH Research Institute will usually accept REB approvals from their institutions, but reserves the right to request a second review by the UBC CREB based on the level of clinical invasiveness of the proposed project. When such a second review is deemed necessary, application to the UBC CREB would be made by a VCH Research Institute investigator/VCH staff person collaborating with the “Affiliated Investigator”.

Submission to the VCH Research Institute office of the relevant HSDA for approval to conduct research at VCH, (forms and guidelines for the research approval process at each HSDA are located in the forms section.

Execution of the research project contract/agreement (if applicable).
Submission for approval to conduct research at VCH, REB approval and project contract/agreement review may be initiated in parallel. The project contract/agreement, if applicable, must be signed by the PI, VCH and UBC. Final authorization for research to begin will be given by the appropriate HSDA’s VCH Research Institute office when the above three processes are satisfactorily completed.

Applications for approval to conduct research at VCHA should be directed to the VCHRI office of the relevant HSDA as indicated below:

VCH – Vancouver

Wylo Kayle
Administrative Assistant, Clinical Trials Administration
Willow Chest Centre – Room 163
2647 Willow Street
Vancouver, BC V5Z 3P1 Canada
Phone: 604.875.5125
Fax: 604.875.5684

VCH – Vancouver (Community)

Larry Frisch, MD, MPH
Assistant Director, VCHRI
Willow Chest Centre
2647 Willow Street, Suite 100
Vancouver, BC V5Z 3P1 Canada
Phone: 604.992.6268
Fax: 604.875.5684

VCH – Richmond

Larry Frisch, MD, MPH
Assistant Director, VCHRI
Willow Chest Centre
2647 Willow Street, Suite 100
Vancouver, B.C. V5Z 1P3 Canada
Phone: 604.992.6268
Fax: 604.875.5684

VCH – Coastal
Cynthia Hamilton, PhD
Assistant Director, VCHRI
Lions Gate Hospital
c/o Medical Administration
231 East 15th Street
North Vancouver, BC V7L 2L7 Canada

Phone: 604.984.3785
Fax: 604.984.5788

5. Intellectual Property

All individuals involved in research at VCH Research Institute are encouraged to discuss and publish the results of research as soon and as fully as may be reasonable and possible. However, publication of the details of a VCH Research Institute invention may make it impossible to seek patent protection. Patenting and licensing arrangements frequently facilitate public use and commercial application of VCH Research Institute inventions.

When a VCH Research Institute invention is an outcome of research activities and has perceived public benefit, VCH Research Institute will develop and commercialize the invention in an effective and efficient manner or encourage staff involved in creating the VCH Research Institute invention to develop and commercialize the VCH Research Institute invention. In either case VCH Research Institute will share, with the inventor(s), in the proceeds that result from the commercialization of the VCHA invention.

5.1 UBC Inventors

Individuals involved in research at VCHRI who have UBC appointments are subject to The University of British Columbia’s Policy #88: Patents and Licensing (“UBC’s IP Policy”) and the terms and conditions of any affiliation agreements between VCH and The University of British Columbia (“UBC”).

5.2 Inventors from other Organizations

In cases where an Inventor subject to the VCH Intellectual Property Policy is also subject to the policy of another organization (e.g. hospital, health authority, or other external institutions), the determination of rights to a VCH Invention and the allocation of Net Revenue, Equity and Net Proceeds arising out of the Commercialization of the VCH Invention shall be subject to the terms and conditions of agreements between VCH and the external institution in force at the time of disclosure of the VCH Invention, or in the absence of such an agreement to negotiation between the institutions involved.

6. Other Regulatory Requirements for Conduct of Research

6.1 Research involving animals

The use of animals in research at VCH Research Institute is conducted in accordance with UBC policy (see Appendix 2). UBC is committed to the humane and ethical care and use of animals and adheres to the principle that in order for animal use to be justifiable in scientific research, the research must have a reasonable expectation of providing a benefit to the health and welfare of people or of animals, or of advancing basic knowledge. To ensure that this commitment is carried out, UBC has established an Animal Care Committee to facilitate research that complies with Canadian Council on Animal Care Guidelines and with the Russell-Burch tenet of “reduction, replacement and refinement”.

Any research project involving the use of animals must have the approval of the UBC Animal Care Committee (ACC). Applications for animal use must be submitted on the ACC Application to Use Animals for Research form, which is available from the Manager, UBC Animal Care Committee, or from the UBC web site at www.acc.ubc.ca.

A separate Animal Care Certificate is required for each project and each funding source (with a project title and sponsor name that are identical on all relevant documents). For further information, contact the Manager, Animal Care Committee, UBC Office of Research Services.

6.2 Research involving biohazardous agents

Researchers working or proposing to work with cultured animal cells, microorganisms, primate body fluids, animals, or recombinant DNA must consult with the UBC Biosafety Committee.

Applications for research grants, regardless of funding source, must be reviewed by the Biosafety Committee to determine the nature of the research, the most appropriate level of containment, and whether the laboratory facilities are adequate.

The Biosafety Committee will approve research facilities, confirm that safety equipment, including biological safety cabinets, are functioning properly and advise on the training required by the faculty and staff conducting the research. A Biosafety Certificate will be issued when all of the prescribed requirements have been met.

A separate Biohazard Certificate is required for each project and each funding source (with a project title and sponsor name that are identical on all relevant documents). “Application for Biosafety Project Approval” forms are available from the Manager, UBC Biosafety Committee, or from the UBC web site at www.ors.ubc.ca/ethics/biohazard.htm.

6.3 Research involving radioactive materials

Any researcher wishing to use radioactive material in research conducted under his or her supervision, regardless of funding source, must obtain a radioisotope licence. The applicant must have a UBC faculty appointment and have successfully completed the UBC Radionuclide Safety and Methodology course. Applications must be submitted to the Radiation Safety Office and are reviewed by the UBC Committee on Radioisotopes and Radiation Hazards.

Application forms may be obtained from the Radiation Safety Officer (604.822.7052 or ted.sedgwick@ubc.ca), and further information is available on the UBC web site at www.riskmanagement.ubc.ca.

7. Mandatory Training for Researchers and research staff

Researchers at VCH Research Institute are responsible for ensuring that all mandatory training for themselves, as well as their staff and students is completed and current (if expiry period is applicable). If an external audit/inspection finds that mandatory training requirements have not been met, it can result in the disruption or termination of the particular project and/or other research being conducted by the particular lab or centre. Some training is mandatory for everyone, whereas other mandatory training is dependent on the type of research being conducted and the facility.

7.1 Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)

WHMIS training is mandatory for all new staff and students at VCHRI research sites (e.g. Jack Bell Research Centre, Research Pavilion, and Heather Pavilion). It is the responsibility of all PIs or Lab Managers to ensure that any new staff and students attend the session. For information on training sessions or if you have new staff or students that need to take the course send an e-mail to research@vch.ca and it will be forwarded to the H&S chairperson. The H&S chairperson will contact you with the next available course date.

7.2 Transporting Dangerous Goods (TDG)

Transporting Dangerous Goods (TDG) certification is required to meet the legal responsibilities of research staff who work at a VCH site (whether VCH or UBC employees), who are involved in the transportation of infectious substances and/or diagnostic specimens (by surface & air). For information on training contact: Amber Hay at amber.hay@vch.ca or 604.875.4111 ×67793.

7.3 Other mandatory training

There are various mandatory training courses and workshops required for new staff and students working at VCH Research Institute sites, depending on the type of research being conducted. Go to Health & Safety for a list of mandatory training and for whom it is required.

8. Appendices

Appendix 1: UBC Policies of Research & Scholarly Activities
Appendix 2: UBC Policy #87 Research
UBC Policy #88 Patents and Licensing
UBC Policy #89 Research and Other Studies Involving Human Subjects
Appendix 3: UBC Signature Policy


Vancouver Coastal Health Research
Administration Office
Willow Chest Centre
Rm 100 – 2647 Willow Street
Vancouver, BC V5Z 3P1 Canada
Tel: 604.875.4372 Fax: 604.875.5684

Contact information for specific individuals can be found on our team page.

Other Pertinent Contacts

UBC University-Industry Liaison Office
Reception: 604.875.4111 ×68473
Fax: 604.875.5839

Ms. Shirley Thompson
Manager, Behavioural Research Ethics Board
University of British Columbia
Telephone: 604.827.5112

Dr. JP Heale
Associate Director, UILO
UBC and Affiliated Hospitals
Telephone: 604.822-2199 at UBC
Telephone: 604.875-5491 at VCHRI office

Ms. Pia Ganz
Manager, Clinical Research Ethics Board
University of British Columbia
Telephone: 604.875.4141

Ms. Christy McTait
Internal Review Officer, HeRRO

Ms. Lynn Macdonald
Manager, UBC Committee on Animal Care
and UBC Biosafety Committee
Telephone: 604.827.5111

Ted Sedgewick
HSE Advisor, Radiation Safety
UBC Radiation Safety Office