Welcome! Learn about the training and mandatory courses required before you work in a research lab at VCH Research Institute.
Before you can work in a research lab, you must receive orientation, training and complete all MANDATORY courses. Until then, you must work under the supervision of a staff member who has the required training. Building orientation will be provided by your PI and/or Lab Supervisor.
Obtain a VCHRI Photo ID, Card Access & Key
Please complete the VCH Research Institute Photo ID, Card Access, & Key Request Form and submit it to Norma Cooper (email@example.com) or Karen Donaldson (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Obtain a Lab Coat
To obtain a lab coat download and complete the Lab Coat Requisition Form.
Purchasing lab coat
- Lab coats now have to purchased
- $18 for new; $9 for used; $6 for alterations (sleeve hemming, etc.)
- Debit or cost center only
- Cash or credit card is not accepted
- Hours of operation are 7AM to 3:30PM, Monday to Friday
- Telephone: 604.875.4111 ext 63182
- New lab coat purchase and laundry pick up is at JPP room B723
Cleaning lab coat
- Cleaning service included (no cost)
- Turn around time is 4 working days
- Dirty coat drop off is in laundry chute located beside JPP room B722
General Lab Safety
The following is a list of general lab safety rules that should be followed:
- No food or drink may be consumed in the laboratories. A shelf has been provided in the hallway for drink and food containers. Do not bring empty containers into the lab.
- Due to possible chemical hazards: No open toed shoes; No shorts; Bare legs must be covered. No exceptions.
- Lab coats must be worn in the lab areas but not in the lunch room or public areas.
- Gloves should not be worn outside of the lab areas unless transferring materials between labs. You must always have one ungloved hand for opening doors, elevators, etc.
- Personnel protective equipment (goggles, gloves, lab coats, etc.) are provided and must be used as appropriate.
- Do not abuse shared equipment and sign up for use when required.
- Keep exits and hallways clear.
Visit the Health and Safety section for more information.
Listed below are courses offed through UBC Risk Management and VCH Research Institute:
- WHMIS (Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System)
- Introduction to Laboratory Safety Course
- Laboratory Chemical Safety Course
- Laboratory Biological Safety Course
- Preventing and Addressing Bullying & Harassment
- How to Deal with Bullying and Harassment in the Workplace
- Radionuclide Safety and Methodology Course
- Laser Safety and Program Development Course
- TDG – Transportation of Dangerous Goods
- Animal Care
Visit the Regulations and Training section for more information.