Statistics suggest that faculty who engage both Grant Development and Internal Review typically enjoy better success rates.
FACULTY OF MEDICINE GRANT DEVELOPMENT (GD)
The Faculty of Medicine’s Grant Development Office (GDO) provides assistance with organization, writing, and presentation of grant applications.
WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES OF USING GD?
- The GDO will help organize your research ideas and provide substantive editing of your proposal.
- The GDO will help you develop manageable timelines to prepare the numerous application components and provide helpful tips on proposal preparation.
- Use of GD helps to reduce rush and stress to submit an outstanding application by the competition deadline.
The goal of the GDO is to help increase the competitiveness of your proposal in rigorous peer review competitions.
WHAT ARE THE DEADLINES AND REQUIREMENTS?
- 8 weeks before Agency deadline, please send a notification email containing the name of the PI and number of co-applicants, grant title or topic, agency and competition, deadline, PI academic rank (please say if pending) and department, and whether PI has held or currently holds peer-reviewed funds (e.g. from CIHR, NSERC, MSFHR)
- 5 weeks before Agency deadline, submit full proposal
- 3 weeks before Agency deadline, your proposal will be returned
MANDATORY FACULTY OF MEDICINE (FOM) REQUIREMENTS
FoM GD and SPARC IR are mandatory for the following Medicine researchers:
WHY DOES THE GDO IMPOSE STRICT DEADLINES AND REQUIREMENTS?
- To enhance quality of service for researchers who are able to meet our requirements;
- To focus our energies where the impact will be greatest (e.g., new faculty submissions and highly ranked resubmissions); and
- To manage limited resources in a transparent, realistic, and sustainable way.
For the September 2013 CIHR New Investigator and Operating Grant competitions, the internal GD deadline to register is July 22nd, 2013 (See the CIHR New Investigator Salary Award Requirements & Deadlines and CIHR Operating Grant Requirements & Deadlines for more details).
Contact (UBC, Point Grey, and VCHRI): Dr. Elizabeth Cheu, Manager, Research Grant Development Office at email@example.com or 604-822-2327.
N.B. The onus is on the researcher to register and submit all required documents by the stated internal GDO deadlines (see above). Researchers who fail to meet the requirements may be ineligible to receive GD. Also, please note the GDO cannot accommodate updates to documents after the deadlines.
SPARC INTERNAL REVIEW (IR)
- Scientific peer review conducted by fellow investigators, available to all UBC faculty
- Details available at http://sparc.ubc.ca/sparc/internal-review
SPARC utilizes the same deadlines as Faculty of Medicine. The IR registration deadline for the September 2013 CIHR New Investigator and Operating Grant competitions is July 22nd, 2013.To register, please submit the following items to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com:
- IR Application Form
- One-page research summary
Contact: Christy McTait at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604-827-5615.