VCH Research Institute is committed to offering education, regulations and policies that ensure the health and safety within our research facilities.
Regulations and Policies
Federal, provincial, and institutional regulations and policies exist that help keep our workplace safe for the faculty, staff, students, and visitors who work in VCH Research Institute facilities. Please review these regulations and policies to keep you and your colleagues safe.
New Staff Requirements
Before you can work in a VCH Research Institute research lab, you must attend an orientation and complete training and all mandatory courses (based on the type of lab you are in). Until then, you must work under the supervision of a staff member who possesses the required training. Building orientation will be provided by your PI and/or Lab Supervisor.
Review the following information to get started:
- VCH Research Institute Photo ID, Card Access & Key Request Form
- Information about requesting lab coats
- Lab Coat requisition form
- General Lab Safety
- Roles and Responsibilities
Your supervisor is responsible for all lab-related issues and should be advised of any incidents, hazards, general questions, or concerns.
The Health and Safety Committee at VCH Research Institute meets every month to address workplace issues and safety, events, and course opportunities. If you would like to become a member, please e-mail us at email@example.com.
Mandatory orientation and training
As per WorkSafe BC H&S regulation 3.22 to 3.25 the following topics must be included in all new or young workers’ orientation training:
- Safety for new or young workers
- WHMIS orientation, video and online course
- WorkSafe BC WHMIS manual
- VCH Research Institute orientation manual
- UBC: preventing and addressing workplace bullying and harassment
- VCH: how to deal with bullying and harassment in the workplace (Intranet access only)
- Biomedical Waste Segregaton Training - Teri Guimond
- Biomedical Waste Segregation - Poster
- Spill reporting flow chart
- Toxic Substance Reporting: Lab Fact Sheet and Reporting Form
- UBC Staff - Incidents, Accidents & Hazard Reporting
- VCH Staff - Incidents and Accidents Reporting (If you don't have access to the VCH intranet click here for VCH incident information).
- VGH Site - Hazard Reporting (Intranet access only)
- VCH Research Insitute Monthly Checklist for labs
- Personal safety checklist
- Employee Safety Training Record
Lab and Chemical Waste Disposal Procedures
- VGH Site - Research Lab Waste Management Guide
- Instructions: Using the Chemical Waste Inventory System - Hospital Sites
- Instructions: Responsible Person - Hospital Sites
- Contact List for Chemical Waste Designates
- Canadian Chemical Weapons Declaration 2016
Insurance for staff, students and volunteers
Please contact your departmental HR Manager for information on insurance coverage in case of an accident/injury while on our premises. Click here for a helpful resources on insurance.
Health & Safety Committee
Contact information for the Health & Safety Committee members at VCH.
Contact information for the fire wardens at the Jack Bell Research Centre, the Research Pavilion and the Robert H.N. Ho Research Centre.