The Innovators’ Challenge is an event organized by the VGH & UBC Hospital Foundation to raise funds for health care innovations at Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH).
Awards are open to health care professionals, clinicians and researchers.
All projects submitted for potential inclusion in the Innovators’ Challenge must be developed in connection to either Vancouver General Hospital, UBC Hospital, GF Strong Rehabilitation Centre or one of VCH’s community health centres and meet the following criteria:
- Potential impact: The project has extraordinary impact on or demonstrated benefits to patients or the health care system. It has significant advantages to existing or potential competitors.
- Usability or translatability: It is feasible to implement by the health care system or easily adopted by the patient. There is no good alternative or other potential solution in the market.
As one of the selected finalists for the Innovators’ Challenge, you will receive:
- Eligibility to win the Innovators’ Challenge prize and philanthropic donations to fund your project
- One-on-one coaching to build a business case for your project and improve your pitch deck
- Promotion of your project via the VGH & UBC Hospital Foundation’s online channels
- Two complimentary tickets to attend the Innovators’ Challenge and network with philanthropists, investors, entrepreneurs and prominent business executives from the life science, biotech and high-tech industries
If your project is selected, the following commitments are required:
- Prepare presentation
- Provide bio and research information for promotional material
- Attend up to 4 Foundation meetings, ~5 hours in total
Day of Event:
- Attend and present your work at the Innovators' Challenge event, approximately five hours in total for an in-person event
- Provide an update on project progress approximately 6-12 months post event
Forms and Guidelines
The following must be included in application to be considered for this funding opportunity:
- Abstract that includes an overview of the problem, your proposed solution and the estimated impact your health care innovation will have (300 word limit)
- Description of how your project meets one or more of the following criteria: potential impact or usability or translatability (200 word limit)
- Description of the development stage, status in the project timeline and time horizon (300 word limit)
- Budget request up to $75,000 with specific details on how funds will be used (one page maximum)
VCHRI partners with the VGH & UBC Hospital Foundation on the Innovators’ Challenge.