Aug 1986 Bachelor of Medicine, University of Kuopio, Finland
Aug 1989 Degree of Licentiate in Medicine (MD), University of Kuopio, Finland
Oct 1995 Specialist in Surgery, University of Kuopio, Finland
Jan 1998 Specialist in Plastic Surgery, University of Helsinki, Finland
June 2005 PhD, University of Kuopio Finland
Aug 2007 Fellow, Royal College of Surgeons of Canada (FRCSC), Ottawa, Canada
May 2009 Docent, University of Kuopio, Finland
Employment history: Medical Director, BCPFF Burn Unit, VGH, Vancouver BC, Canada, 2007- Head, Plastic Surgery, Kuopio University Hospital, Finland, Feb - June 2007 Senior Consultant, Sheikh Khalifa Medical City, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates 2005- 2006. Senior Consultant, Plastic Surgery, Kuopio University Hospital, Finland, 1998 – 2006 Head, National Burn Unit, Kuopio University Hospital, Finland, Jan 1998 – June 2007 Plastic surgery resident, Kuopio University Hospital, Finland, Oct 1995 – Jan 1998 Other: Reviewer, Burns, 2005 - Associate editor, ePlasty, 2007 – Reviewer, Canadian Journal of Surgery 2009 – Editorial Board member, Burns, 2010- Reviewer, Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology, 2010 - Reviewer, the Finnish medical Journal, 2012 - The Finnish Society of Plastic Surgeons, Board member 1998 – 2002 Ethics Committee Board Member, UBC, 2012 – Research Committee Member, American Burn Association, 2012 - Memberships: Finnish Medical Association Finnish Association of Surgeons The Finnish Society of Plastic Surgeons European Burns Association American Burn Association International Society for Burn Injuries College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada British Columbia Medical Association BCMA section of Plastic Surgery Publications: 29 international refereed publications 15 book chapters 49 abstracts in international conferences VGH, Concept Award 2008 Visiting Professor: Department of Surgery, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, 2010 Department of Plastic Surgery, Kuwait City, Kuwait, January 2011.
1. Antibiotic-resistant organisms in BC Professional Firefighters’ Burn Unit
2. A clinical trial on the reduction of bacteria (including MRSA) in MRSA positive ulcers and lesions.
3. Reduced length of stay of burn patients after protocol changes.
4. Expression Patterns of signaling factors 14-3-3 and HIF-1 in both aged and neonatal skin cells, both in vitro and in vivo
5. Ethnicity and etiology. Retrospective study on burn patients treated in Vancouver General Hospital.
6. The effects of FS1 and FS2 in tissue mediator profile and in preventing burn depth progression.
7. The effects of anti-inflammatory dressings in edema formation in experimental burns.
8. Experimental pressure ulcer model in rats. Effects of local therapy.
9. Estimating burn extent. Is there a difference between pre-hospital and burn unit estimations?
10. Incidence of deep venous thromboses during thrombosis prophylaxis. A 10-year retrospective chart review.
11. The effect of music therapy in pain reduction during burn dressing changes.
12. Burn epidemiology in Canada. Multi-centre trial.
13. Burn survivor quality of life in British Columbia
- Journal of burn care & research : official publication of the American Burn Association - 2012, Nov 12
- Burns : journal of the International Society for Burn Injuries - 2011, Sep 23
- Burns : journal of the International Society for Burn Injuries - 2009, Jul 31
- Plastic and reconstructive surgery - 2007, Apr 18
- Burns : journal of the International Society for Burn Injuries - 2009, Apr 10