The operational approval process allows for the review and approval of research projects conducted within Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) facilities or projects that utilize VCH resources. This includes, but is not limited to chart review, data access, patients, staff or the posting of research recruitment materials on its property and through its communication channels.
Investigators must receive formal operational approval before they begin their research project. Operational applications and renewals will be processed within 7 to 10 business days.
Submit application documents to the Coordinator, Research Approvals. The ethics application number must be included in the email subject line when submitting an application.
Seeking operational approval
The stages of operational approval include:
- Guidelines - Review the guidelines for assistance in completing the VCHRI Operational Application: Guideline for Obtaining Operational Approval of Research at VCH
- Operational Application - Investigators must complete and sign the application form for operational approval and obtain signatures from managers of all the departments, units or clinics that are affected by the research.
Application Form for Operational Approval
- Yearly Renewal - Operational approval is valid for one year. If the research study remains active after one year, investigators must complete a request for Renewal of Operational Approval.
- Study Closure - Once all data collection and analysis procedures have been completed, the study is considered closed and Notification of Study Completion or Termination must be submitted by investigators.
Study recruitment support
VCHRI provides resources to help researchers expand their reach and engage more potential study participants. To request recruitment support, investigators with operational approval must fill out and submit the Recruitment Support Form on the Study Recruitment Support page.
Medical Reprocessing and Reprocessing Practice Improvement Program (RPIP):
- VCH Research Device Guidance
- Application for Market Device in Research
- Application for Non-Critical Research Device
- Application for Non-Market Research Device
- Application for Variance Market Device
- Electrically-powered medical devices – Clinical Environment
- Electrically-powered medical devices – Non Clinical Environment
- Device Exclusion list
Operating Room and Anatomical Pathology:
- Appendix 2 – Operating room and Tissue Collection Guidelines
- Operating Room Research Form
- Specimen Collection for Research - Special Handling Instructions
- Anatomic Pathology Laboratory Resource Utilization
- Radiology - Integrated Medical Imaging Research
- Radiology - Screening Checklist
- Radiology - CT Study Template
- Radiology - IR Study Template
- Radiology - MRI Study Template
- Radiology - Nuclear Medicine Study Template
- Radiology - US Study Template
- Radiology - X-ray Study Template