Vancouver Coastal Health Research Institute is focused on discovery and translational research that directly impacts health and economic outcomes in B.C. Our attention is focused on supporting research that merges leading scientific findings with health care providers across disciplines to identify new approaches that can address and meet the health care needs across the life span.
Research expertise and infrastructure at VCHRI enable both homegrown discoveries and participation in national and international clinical trials. As a result, British Columbians have access to cutting-edge diagnoses and treatments that would not otherwise be available, as well as the faster translation of research into new gold standards of disease prevention and management.
- New treatments, diagnostics, devices, behavioral modifications and therapeutics
- Improved quality of life through disease prevention, early detection and chronic disease management
- Strategies for successful knowledge translation in health care practice and policy making
Clinical, bench and health systems research at VCHRI shape and balance both the supply and demand chain of health resources, including improved detection, reduced treatment times and lower hospital readmissions. This leads to cost savings and cost-effectiveness in the health care system.
Commercialization and technology transfer help research discoveries reach their maximum potential. The research enterprise at VCHRI is a magnet for funding dollars from across Canada and around the globe. Funding and investments from government, academic and private sectors are key drivers of job creation and a new generation of BC knowledge leaders.
- Optimized supply and demand of health services
- Economic gain through the generation of intellectual property, spin-off companies and jobs
- Commercialization of health innovation
- Education to prepare trainees for the in-demand jobs of the emerging B.C. life sciences knowledge economy
Research dissemination and implementation strategies impact health knowledge, attitudes, and behaviour within the society at large. Health research improves health status by contributing to interventions that improve quality of life and reduce morbidity, mortality and disability. Research findings directly drive, transform or define health policies and guidelines.
- Adherence to research-informed health policies and practices
- More efficient health system resources
- Positive health literacy, self-efficacy and behavioural change
A Culture of Collaboration
The research culture at VCHRI is grounded in knowledge exchange, participation and empowerment. We nurture and reinforce a culture of collaboration by supporting interdisciplinary projects that incorporate basic and clinical research. In response to technological advances, VCHRI actively bridges research discoveries with clinical care, integrating knowledge from imaging and diagnostics; engineering, telehealth; data and analytics; AI and machine learning; drug development; regenerative medicine; microbiome research, and other technologies and approaches.
Demonstrated Research Excellence
VCHRI is the top-funded health research institutes in Western Canada. A snapshot of the types of funding awards received by VCHRI researchers during 2020/21: