Dr Riyad Abu-Laban is an Emergency Physician at VGH, Associate Professor and Research Director of the UBC Department of Emergency Medicine, and Senior Associate Editor for the Canadian Journal of Emergency Medicine. He holds a MHSc in epidemiology from UBC, has a wide range of research publications and was principal investigator on two cardiac arrest RCTs published in the NEJM (2002) and the Lancet (2006). In recent years his focus has shifted to research facilitation and education through his administrative role in the recently established UBC Department of Emergency Medicine. He has mentored two emergency medicine VCHRI career award recipients and has taught on clinical trials for the VCHRI Centre for Clinical Epidemiology and Evaluation where he is a Research Associate. In 2011 he developed and launched a novel 1 month annual research education rotation for UBC Emergency Medicine Residents that was highly evaluated and expanded in 2012 to include Pediatric Emergency Medicine Fellows and EM Faculty Members. He is active as a collaborator on a number of ongoing research studies in emergency medicine, and his most recent principal investigator publication (Can J Emerg Med, 2013) is a mixed outcomes study on the aforementioned research education rotation.
1. Evaluation of a Novel Research Education Rotation For Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons Emergency Medicine Residents
2. Relationship Between Canadian Medical Student Identification of Emergency Medicine as a Career Choice and Post-Graduate Training Disposition
- Annals of emergency medicine - 2012, May 25
- CJEM - 2009, Jun 15
- CMAJ : Canadian Medical Association journal = journal de l'Association medicale canadienne - 2008, Jun 3
- Lancet - 2006, May 15
- The New England journal of medicine - 2002, May 16