I have been a teacher and researcher for many years, with projects and publications ranging across lipoproteins, breast cancer prognostic factors, clinical laboratory toxicology, laboratory automation and medical education. My current collaborations are with community and academic partners to do research and translate that into programs that improve patient/client-health professional communication. Projects range from teaching adolescents in BC schools the skills for taking an active role in their healthcare, to actively involving community members in the education of health professional students. In other words, how to make informed and shared decision making between patients/clients and health professionals a reality.
Community voices in health professional education - improving care for vulnerable populations through their participation in the education of health professionals; Interprofessional health mentors program; Health care communication in an aboriginal community; "Talk to your doc" - a program to help people improve their communication with health care providers; Addressing CanMEDS competencies through involvement of patients and community organizations in postgraduate medical education.
- Academic medicine : journal of the Association of American Medical Colleges - 2011, Oct 27
- Medical education - 2010, Jan 18
- Patient education and counseling - 2006, Aug 14
- Healthcare quarterly (Toronto, Ont.) - 2009, Aug 11
- Health expectations : an international journal of public participation in health care and health policy - 2006, Nov 6