The challenge is on! We encourage VCH staff members to consider a practice area that might be improved and create a research project to discover how best to improve it.
The VCH Research Challenge will:
- Provide information, mentorship and funding for you
- Help you to learn about research and conduct your own clinical practice project
- Answer a question you have about your clinical practice
- The Research Challenge is designed to support point-of-care staff who do not have research experience; therefore eligible teams must include at least one member who is a point-of-care practitioner
How much award money is available for teams who are accepted into the Challenge?
Successful teams will receive up to $5,000 each in research award funding.
Who can apply to participate in the Challenge?
The Research Challenge is designed to support point-of-care staff who do not have research experience; therefore each team must include at least one point-of-care staff member. All teams can be inter-professional. All team leaders must be 0.5 or greater FTE at VCH for at least 1 year (full-time, part-time or casual).
How do I find a mentor for my team?
The best fit is to find a mentor in your department who is familiar with your work/patient environment. If you don't have someone, we will help you find a mentor!
I want to be involved, but don't know much about research - can I still participate?
The Research Challenge is perfect for you! We've designed the Challenge to teach beginners the basics of research.
Q & A session will be held on January 21, 2021.
When are proposals due?
- Registration Form: February 8, 2021
- Full Application: May 3, 2021
When are the workshops?
- Research Methods - mandatory virtual workshop for all registered teams (Friday February 26, 2021 - 9:00am - 12:30pm)
- Research Ethics and Patient Engagement - mandatory virtual workshop for all registered teams (Friday March 5, 2021 - 9:00am - 12:00pm)
- Finance and Administration - mandatory 1/2 day virtual workshop for teams who are awarded a grant (September 2021)
- Additional workshop: data management, project management, knowledge translation, library skills, and more (dates TBA)
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
What will be expected of participants?
Applicants will find team members; complete the registration form; attend a preparation workshop in March; develop their research proposal (with support from their mentor), and submit the proposal in May.
Teams whose projects are funded will be supported with funds and a mentor to conduct their research project over a twelve-month time period, and will be expected to draft a report of the their research findings and present their research at a presentation day along with the other teams.
The Research Challenge is run in partnership with VCH Professional Practice and the Vancouver Coastal Health Research Institute.
Registration Deadline: February 8, 2021
Application Deadline: May 3, 2021
2021 Forms and Documents
Contact Amanda Chisholm, Senior Manager, Education and Funding Initiatives at email@example.com