The Centre for Heart and Lung Health improves the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of lung problems and serious illnesses like lung cancer and asthma that may require critical care.
The multidisciplinary teams are made up of physicians, nurses, physiotherapists and other health professionals work to improve prevention, diagnosis and treatment of respiratory, cardiac and critical care illnesses including: lung cancer, asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (COPD), sleep apnea and tuberculosis.
The Centre brings research to patients by linking respiratory research to clinical practice. Investigators combine strategies from epidemiology, clinical research, and basic sciences to provide new insights that can lead to innovative treatments for these serious illnesses. The Interventional Cardiology team delivers clinical cardiac care as well as investigating cardiac function and disease. The team initiates and designs research trials involving pharmacologic agents, interventional devices and stem cell research for cardiovascular repair. They also manage clinical trials, and share clinical and research expertise internationally through several major cardiology conferences, such as TCT, ACC, AHA, Euro PCR.
Dr. Mark FitzGerald, Director of the Centre
- Located at Vancouver General Hospital and UBC Hospital
- The Centre has over 47 researchers and clinicians and 22 trainees
- Recognised internationally for research in obstructive lung disease, lung cancer, tuberculosis, and sleep apnea
- The Legacy of Airway Health is a unique program focussed on accelerating research and translation in the prevention and care of COPD and asthma.
- Developed oral appliances as a new and effective treatment for obstructive sleep apnea
- The Interventional Cardiology team is one of the largest programs of its kind in Canada
- World leaders in the new minimally invasive heart valve procedure – transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI)
- Accumulated information on over 60 patients with fibromuscular dysplasia (FMD) and tears in their heart arteries, which represent the world’s largest study to date of tear related conditions – a newly understood, potential risk-factor for heart attack
Centre for Heart and Lung Health
The Lung Centre, Vancouver General Hospital
7th Floor - 2775 Laurel Street
Vancouver, B.C. V5Z 1M9
For more information visit: